Type of entity
Authorized form of name
College of Architecture, Planning, and Design
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Kansas State University’s College of Architecture, Planning, and Design was established in 1963 by bringing together into one administrative unit the Departments of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Architectural Engineering, Construction Science, Interior Architecture, and Regional and Community Planning. However, the origins of the College date to the 1876 arrival and election of Prof. J.D. Walters to the chair of industrial arts. In 1894 the first true course in architecture was given and by 1897 the Department of Drawing, Descriptive Geometry, and Architecture was formed. The architecture curriculum was reorganized in 1903 to allow a formally organized four-year curriculum in architecture to be initiated. The architecture course began as part of the Department of Architecture and Drawing for the 1904-05 academic year.
The College saw many changes to the name and structure through the years. In 1909 K-State reorganized its structure and the Department of Architecture and Drawing was placed in the Division of Mechanic Arts. This division became the Division of Engineering in 1917, and then transformed into the School of Engineering in 1942, finally becoming the School of Engineering and Architecture in 1945. In 1963 K-State reorganized again, and the College of Architecture and Design was formed. The College also saw many changes and additions to the course offerings. For example, in 1941 a formal landscape architecture curriculum was established, to replace the landscape gardening series, begun in 1878 in the Department of Horticulture.
After several decades of growth, additions, and consolidation of programs into the College, a change in the name of the College was needed, therefore in 1993 the College of Architecture and Design became the College of Architecture, Planning and Design, the current designation for the college.
Deans of the College –
1963 – 1971: Emil Fischer
1971 – 1984: Bernd Foerster
1984 – 1989: Mark Lapping
1989 – 1995: Lane Marshall
1995 – 2009: Dennis Law
2009 – Present: Tim de Noble
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Complied by Jeremiah VanGilder, June 2011. Edited by Jarrod Kuckelman, January 2021.
Information from College/University Catalogs, campus directories, the University fact book, and information supplied by the College.
Creator Source: Library of Congress Name Authority File