Type of entity
Authorized form of name
College of Veterinary Medicine
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The College of Veterinary Medicine grew out of the College of Agriculture with the increased number and value of livestock in Kansas creating a demand for veterinarians. By 1886 Kansas State University had begun offering courses in veterinary science for those in the agriculture program, but these courses were just supplements and not a degree program. But Bby 1905 the demand became enough that the Board of Regents authorized the beginning of the four-year veterinary science course and the Department of Veterinary Medicine was formed. From the beginning, the veterinary science course included students operating a daily veterinary clinic for sick or injured animals in the area. In 1908 Veterinary Hall, later Leasure Hall, was built and became the first building to house the College. When K-State was reorganized in 1909, the department was put in the Division of Agriculture.
By 1919 the program was large enough that it was separated from the Division of Agriculture and was formed into the Division of Veterinary Medicine. The Veterinary Hospital, Burt Hall, was completed in 1923. In 1932, a five-year curriculum was instated, with this being extended to a six-year curriculum in 1948. The division was renamed the School of Veterinary Medicine in 1942, and in 1963 the College of Veterinary Medicine was created after University reorganization. At that time the College occupied three large buildings, Leasure, Burt, and Dykstra Halls, spread across campus.
The College is currently housed in its own complex, which contains Coles, Trotter, and Mosier Halls. Of the present colleges of veterinary medicine nationwide, Kansas State University is one of the oldest in the United States to grant the degree of Doctor of Veterinary of Medicine.
Deans of the College –
1919 – 1948: Ralph R. Dykstra
1948 – 1964: Eldon E. Leasure
1964 – 1965: Ralph L. Kitchell
1966 – 1971: Charles E. Cornelius
1971 – 1984: Donald M. Trotter
1984 – 1987: James R. Coffman
1988 – 1994: Michael D. Lorenz
1994 – 1997: Ron J. Marler
1998 – 2015: Ralph C. Richardson
2015 – 2017: Tammy Beckham
2017 – present: Bonnie Rush
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Complied by Jeremiah VanGilder, June 2011, with edits made by Jarrod Kuckelman, January 2021.
Information from College/University Catalogs, campus directories, the University fact book, and information supplied by the College.
Also: Elmore, Ronnie G. and Howard H. Erickson. A Century of Excellence: Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Virginia Beach, VA: The Donning Company Publishers, 2005.
Creator Source: Local Authority File
Biographical/Historical Note Author: James Smith