Name and location of repository
Level of description
College of Veterinary Medicine records
- 1997-1998 (Creation)
1.80 Linear Feet, 2.00 Boxes
Name of creator
The College of Veterinary Medicine grew out of the College of Agriculture with the increased number and value of livestock in Kansas creating a demand for veterinarians. By 1886 Kansas State University had begun offering courses in veterinary science for those in the agriculture program, but these courses were just supplements and not a degree program. But Bby 1905 the demand became enough that the Board of Regents authorized the beginning of the four-year veterinary science course and the Department of Veterinary Medicine was formed. From the beginning, the veterinary science course included students operating a daily veterinary clinic for sick or injured animals in the area. In 1908 Veterinary Hall, later Leasure Hall, was built and became the first building to house the College. When K-State was reorganized in 1909, the department was put in the Division of Agriculture.
By 1919 the program was large enough that it was separated from the Division of Agriculture and was formed into the Division of Veterinary Medicine. The Veterinary Hospital, Burt Hall, was completed in 1923. In 1932, a five-year curriculum was instated, with this being extended to a six-year curriculum in 1948. The division was renamed the School of Veterinary Medicine in 1942, and in 1963 the College of Veterinary Medicine was created after University reorganization. At that time the College occupied three large buildings, Leasure, Burt, and Dykstra Halls, spread across campus.
The College is currently housed in its own complex, which contains Coles, Trotter, and Mosier Halls. Of the present colleges of veterinary medicine nationwide, Kansas State University is one of the oldest in the United States to grant the degree of Doctor of Veterinary of Medicine.
Deans of the College –
1919 – 1948: Ralph R. Dykstra
1948 – 1964: Eldon E. Leasure
1964 – 1965: Ralph L. Kitchell
1966 – 1971: Charles E. Cornelius
1971 – 1984: Donald M. Trotter
1984 – 1987: James R. Coffman
1988 – 1994: Michael D. Lorenz
1994 – 1997: Ron J. Marler
1998 – 2015: Ralph C. Richardson
2015 – 2017: Tammy Beckham
2017 – present: Bonnie Rush
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
Correspondence of Dean Ronald Marler and Interim Dean Neil Anderson between February 1997 and January 1998. This correspondence includes material covering policy, budgets, meeting minutes, and reports.
System of arrangement
Arranged chronologically by month and year.
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
No access restriction: All materials are open for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Acquisition and appraisal elements
It received accession number U2012.37.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acqusition Source: College of Veterinary Medicine
Acqusition Method: Records Transfer
Acqusition Date: 20120823
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- Citation: Preferred Citation: [Item title], [item date], College of Veterinary Medicine records, Box [number], Folder [number or title], Morse Department of Special Collections, Kansas State University Libraries.
Archon Collection ID
Description control element
Rules or conventions
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Finding Aid Author: James Smith
Processing Info: This collection was processed by student assistant, James Smith.