Name and location of repository
Level of description
Department of Grain Science and Industry records
- 1955-2007 (Creation)
0.25 Linear Feet, 1.00 Box
Name of creator
The department of Grain Science and Industry started when milling and baking tests were conducted as part of the Chemistry department after an experimental mill was installed in 1905. From 1906-1910 Professor C.O. Swanson was the person responsible for these experimental tests.
On March 1, 1910, the Department of Milling was formed when it broke away from the Chemistry department. From 1910-1922 Leslie A. Fitz was the head of the department until his resignation. After the resignation of Fitz, Swanson became head of the department. Early on the department worked to improve wheat quality and methods of grain storage. The department was located in Agriculture Hall (East Waters Hall).
In 1937 a four-year degree in the milling industry was offered as a course of study. In 1939 Swanson retired and Dr. E.G. Bayfield took over until 1945 when John Shellenberger took over as the department head. While Shellenberger headed the department the equipment and laboratories were updated with more modern equipment. The Department of Milling expanded the curriculum in 1951 by adding feed technology and expanded once again in 1963 when bakery science was added.
John Shellenberger retired in 1966 and was succeeded by William J. Hoover as the department head. 1966 also saw the change of the name from the Department of Milling Industry to the Department of Grain Science and Industry.
Dr. Hoover resigned in 1976 with Charles W. Deyoe taking over as the department head. When Hoover resigned he took over as the President of the American Institute of Baking. With his help, the organization moved from Chicago to Manhattan where it has been based since. In 1992 Deyoe stepped down and Dr. Richard R. Hahn took over the position. Hahn retired in 1996 and Dr. Brendan J. Donnelly took over as department head. Under Donnelly’s leadership, the start of a five-building Grain Science and Industry complex began construction. The first of these buildings, the International Grains Program Conference Center, was completed in 2004. The second building, the Biological and Industrial Value Added Programs, was finished in 2005. In 2006 the Hal Ross Flour Mill was completed. The O.H. Kruse Feed Technology Innovation Center was completed in 2013.
Dr. Donnelly retired with Dr. Virgil Smail taking over in 2004. In 2008 Dr. Dirk Maier becomes the current department head.
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
This accession includes milling-related activities of the Department of Grain Science and Industry mainly from 1977 to 1989. Other articles, clippings, photographs, and programs cover topics like catfish research, faculty member John Shellenberger, other departmental faculty, and fraternity and university events between 1955 and 2007. Items of note include programs from Charles Deyoe for a Gamma Sigma Delta (Kansas Eta Chapter) banquet, an Alpha Gamma Rho (Alpha Zeta Kansas Chapter) banquet, and KSU events and commencements.
System of arrangement
The materials are arranged primarily in chronological order.
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
No access restrictions: All materials are open for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Acquisition and appraisal elements
It received accession number U2011.31.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acqusition Source: Department via Charles Deyoe
Acqusition Method: Transfer
Acqusition Date: 20110630
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- Citation: [Item title], [item date], Department of Grain Science and Industry records, Box [number], Folder [number or title], Morse Department of Special Collections, Kansas State University Libraries.
Archon Collection ID
Description control element
Rules or conventions
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Finding Aid Author: Cliff Hight
Processing Info: Jeremiah VanGilder processed the collection in July 2011. Cliff Hight reviewed it in August 2011.