Women in Communications, inc., an honorary professional fraternity dedicated to empowering women in the communications professions, was founded in 1909 as Theta Sigma Phi at the University of Washington in Seattle. A local student chapter at Kansas State Agricultural College was petitioned by the Women's Press Club and accepted on June 8, 1916. It's original membership number 6 actives and 6 pledges. Theta Sigma Phi was created with dedication to the following objectives: To unite women engaging in or planning to engage in journalism; To confer honor upon women who distinguish themselves in journalism or letter; To achieve definite standards in journalism and letters; To improve working conditions for women in these fields; To inspire members to greater individual effort Some of the early Theta Sigs include: Velma Carson, Clementine Paddleford, Elizabeth Dickens Shafer, Josephine Hemphill, Velma Lockridge McKee, Alice C. Nichols, Sue Carmody Jones, and Eula Mae Currie Kelly. In 1972, the national organization officially changed it's name from Theta Sigma Phi to Women in Communications, inc. (WICI). At the same time, it reformulated the original objectives to be more in tune with modern times. WICI's mission is Leading Change, the membership coming together to make a difference in the world and the communications profession. The objectives of the organization are: To unite members for the purpose of promoting the advancement of women in all fields of communications; To work for the First Amendment rights and responsibilities of communicators; To recognize distinguished professional achievements; To promote high professional standards throughout the communications industry.
Kansas State University. Women in Communications Honorary Professional Fraternity