Name and location of repository
Level of description
0.25 Linear Feet
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
This artificial collection includes postcards of subjects that include Kansas State University, Fort Riley, Manhattan, and Kansas. Some cards are addressed and others are blank.
System of arrangement
Alphabetically by building at Kansas State University, followed by Fort Riley, Manhattan, and Kansas postcards.
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
No access restriction: All materials are open for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Immediate source of acquisition
Acqusition Source: Various
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
The following postcards, marked U2015.13, were donated in loving memory of Janet Lee Rees by devoted husband Richard:
1. Anderson Hall: real photo card, postally used with student message about mid term exams, stamp cancellation but no postmark, divided back; library does not have this view.
- College Battalion: real photo card, postmarked 3/26/1909 with student message about final exams; library has a battalion card with a closer view but of military band, not postmarked.
3. Physical Science Hall: postmarked 9/6/1918; library has same view, not postmarked.
- Physical Science Hall: real photo card, different view than #3, postmarked 3/14/1910; library does not have this view.
- Horticultural Hall: color card postmarked 10/17/1910 with student message about studies; library does not have this view.
6. Horticultural Hall: real photo card, postmarked 6/30/1909 with student message about being busy until finish course; library does not have this view.
- Agricultural Building: real photo card, postmarked 9/22/1914 with student message has classes in this building; library does not have this view.
- Agricultural Hall: not postally used, divided back, published by Duckwall Bros. Manhattan, Kas; library does not have this view.
- Women's Gymnasium (Holtz Hall): postmarked 6/8/year missing, undivided back with brief message on front; library has same card with pinholes in each corner, not postally used.
- Kedzie (Domestic Science Hall): color view of 2-story building, postmarked 2/29/?8, student message discusses much larger building being built; library has same view but not color, different label, undivided back, not postally used, pinholes in each corner.
- Domestic Science & Art Bldg: view of 3-story building, postmarked 2/27/1909, student message spends most of her time in this building; library does not have a 3-story view.
12. Domestic Science & Art Bldg: color view of 3-story building, postmarked 6/1/1913, message that person went through this building; library does not have this card.
- Veterinary Science Building: color view of 3-story building, not postmarked, divided back, published by The Fleming Pharmacy, Manhattan, Kan; library does not have this view.
- Nichols Gymnasium: color card, postmarked June but rest of date illegible; library does not have this view.
- Van Zile Hall: color card, photo by Max Wolf Manhattan, Kansas; library has same card with different cloud formation and damaged back.
- General View of Campus: color card, postmarked 12/16/?8, published by H.S. Willard & Co. Manhattan, Kans; library has this view, not color, different back.
- Lover's Lane: color card, image of lane is enhanced; library has similar view with different label and back.
- Lover's Lane: divided back, postmark 6/7/1910, message discusses climbing Blue Mount Hill and writing card on shady & cool Lover's Lane; library has similar view with different label and back.
- New Agronomy Building: color card, postmarked 11/26/no year; library does not have this card.
- KSAC Football Team 1909: real photo card, divided back; library does not have this card.
- Military Band: color card, divided back, published by H.S. Willard & Co. Manhattan, Kans; library does not have this card.
- Memorial Chapel: green ink etching by Charlotte H. Morton, divided back; library does not have this card.
- YMCA: real photo, divided back, building became Saint Mary Hospital in 1936 and is where donor Richard D. Rees was born on 12/29/1938, mother's room was on main floor 1st window to the right of 11th Street entrance; this building is now the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity house, library does not have this card.
- YMCA: postmarked 6/30/13, divided back; library does not have this card.
1. Poyntz Avenue: color card, postmarked 9/11/1936, photo by Max Wolf, Manhattan, Kansas, view looking east from 4th Street.
2. Poyntz Avenue: not postally used, divided back, early 1900's view of unpaved Poyntz looking west from 1st Street.
3. Poyntz Avenue: postmarked 9/25/1912, early 1900's view of Poyntz with streetcar in center of street and horse & buggies along both curbs, student message about book costs and room & board.
4. Riley County Court House & Wareham Hotel: color card, postmarked 9/7/1938.
- Riley County Court House: earlier view of court house, postmarked 9/8/no year, student message that school just started.
6. Riley County Court House: vertical color card, divided back.
7. Hotel Gillett: color card, divided back.
- Manhattan City High School: undivided back, postmarked 6/7/no year, brief message on front by girl attending some kind of instruction in the building.
- Rebekah Home: real photo card, divided back, postmarked 9/24/?0, message by person starting work apparently at KSAC since gave address as KSAC, Manhattan.
- I.O.O.F. Home Eureka Lake: color card, divided back, appears that a child started scribbling an address.
- Dripping Springs: color card, divided back.
- Union Pacific Depot: sepia tone card, postmarked 9/23/1910.
- Episcopal Church: divided back card.
- First Methodist Church: color card, postmarked 3/15/15,
- Post Office: color card, postmarked 6/5/52.
- Castle Kimble: color card, divided back.
- Union Bus Depot: color card, divided back, distributed by Wolf Studio, Manhattan, Kansas.
- Old Military Crossing on Blue River: color card, postmark 1/24/1910, message by student studying gas engines.
- Drive in City Park: real photo card, postmarked 11/17/1910, unpaved street in park with many trees, bench and obelisk monument.
Preferred Citation: [Item title], [item date], Postcard collection, Box [number], Folder [number or title], Morse Department of Special Collections, Kansas State University Libraries.
Archon Collection ID
Description control element
Rules or conventions
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Publication Date: 2014-01-28