Name and location of repository
Level of description
Dean of Architecture records
- 1992–1993 (Creation)
0.50 Linear Feet, 1.00 Box
Name of creator
Kansas State University’s College of Architecture, Planning, and Design was established in 1963 by bringing together into one administrative unit the Departments of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Architectural Engineering, Construction Science, Interior Architecture, and Regional and Community Planning. However, the origins of the College date to the 1876 arrival and election of Prof. J.D. Walters to the chair of industrial arts. In 1894 the first true course in architecture was given and by 1897 the Department of Drawing, Descriptive Geometry, and Architecture was formed. The architecture curriculum was reorganized in 1903 to allow a formally organized four-year curriculum in architecture to be initiated. The architecture course began as part of the Department of Architecture and Drawing for the 1904-05 academic year.
The College saw many changes to the name and structure through the years. In 1909 K-State reorganized its structure and the Department of Architecture and Drawing was placed in the Division of Mechanic Arts. This division became the Division of Engineering in 1917, and then transformed into the School of Engineering in 1942, finally becoming the School of Engineering and Architecture in 1945. In 1963 K-State reorganized again, and the College of Architecture and Design was formed. The College also saw many changes and additions to the course offerings. For example, in 1941 a formal landscape architecture curriculum was established, to replace the landscape gardening series, begun in 1878 in the Department of Horticulture.
After several decades of growth, additions, and consolidation of programs into the College, a change in the name of the College was needed, therefore in 1993 the College of Architecture and Design became the College of Architecture, Planning and Design, the current designation for the college.
Deans of the College –
1963 – 1971: Emil Fischer
1971 – 1984: Bernd Foerster
1984 – 1989: Mark Lapping
1989 – 1995: Lane Marshall
1995 – 2009: Dennis Law
2009 – Present: Tim de Noble
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
This collection includes information relevant to the Farrell expansion of the library such as budgets, programming, memos, and research.
System of arrangement
This collection is arranged in one box.
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
No access restrictions: All materials are open for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Acquisition and appraisal elements
It received the accession number 2015-16.012.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acqusition Source: Dean of Architecture, Planning and Design
Acqusition Method: Donation
Acqusition Date: 20150722
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
It documents the expansion of Farrell Library.
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- Citation: [Item title], [item date], Dean of Architecture records, Box [number], Folder [title], Morse Department of Special Collections, Kansas State University Libraries.
Archon Collection ID
Description control element
Rules or conventions
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Finding Aid Author: Abby Kopp
Processing Info: Student assistant Abby Kopp processed this collection and university archivist Cliff Hight reviewed it in November 2015.
Publication Date: 2015-11-30